Monday, December 28, 2009

Inexpensive ornament

More than any other Christmas decoration, I love Christmas trees the best. Especially those that are heavily laden with ornaments. We have a word in Tagalog that describes it perfectly: busog. It really means 'a full stomach,' both the feeling and how it gets distended when you've eaten a lot. Through the years, I've accumulated all sorts of ornaments to try to get our tree as busog as it can get. Aside from ornaments that are hung on branches, I've bought garlands to string around it (though I didn't use them this year) and glittery flowers to put on top of boughs. Thanks to a friend of mine and her Christmas tree, I discovered another ornament perfect for filling in spaces between branches. And it's DIY so it's also very inexpensive. All you need is that wide ribbon with wire at the edges so they can be shaped and those little ornaments on thin wires. Cut and cross the ribbon, wrap the wired ornament, and voilà!

gold ribbon Christmas ornament
A 10-yard roll of ribbon gave me 16 ornaments. To see how I used it on our tree, click here. Although I made them specifically for the tree, you can also use this simple ribbon trick to accessorize gifts, for Christmas or any other occasion.

5 comments:

Maria Verivaki said...

happy new year hilda, and thanks for all the support you have given my blog over the last few months!

Cezar and Léia said...

Dear Hilda, I'm so happy that you are posting here new fabulous subjects and hints for our lives!
Great posts!
Thanks a lot for sharing!
God bless you
Léia

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

I like the idea with making do with things that would otherwise be chucked out.

traveller said...

I tried making ribbons. They don't come out as pretty.

Jerez Sherry said...

Hilda, I use ribbon lengths for garlands. I love these best.