Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Better packaging?

During my monthly mall expedition over the weekend, I also bought my new batch of knee-high stockings (I buy them a dozen or more pairs at a time, and I explained why here). I just buy the store brand because they're less expensive and no one's going to see them under my slacks anyway, and the only reason I wear them is because I hate the feeling of bare feet in closed shoes (you get what I mean).

Anyway, I noticed that the store brand had changed its packaging. What used to be a pink half-box in a plastic wrap was now a tan and gray box, and the price had increased by five pesos (about 20 US cents). Since prices of all sorts of products have increased this past month, I didn't think much of it. But when I got home and opened the package, I got really irritated. I found out the reason for the price increase, and it wasn't because of any improvement of the product, but because of the packaging itself. And what a waste this new package is!

There are three pairs of stockings in one package. One stocking has a piece of cardboard inside and all the other pieces folder over it. This lot is inside a plastic bag. The plastic bag is inside a box. And the box is inside another plastic bag, this time with a self-adhesive flap.

I can use the cardboard inside the stocking as a bookmark—all it needs is a little creative scrapping. The box can go to the recyclers. But the plastic bags! They're not the recyclable or biodegradable kind so they'll just add to the tons of garbage we don't know what to do with. And why two pieces when one could have sufficed? I know that this piece of plastic is really a very small thing, but not when you put them all together. Every little thing we can do to help, will.

I'm going to email the url of this particular blog to the department store.

No comments: