Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Ambient movies

Most people put on music while doing their chores. I pop in movie DVDs.

Yes, I know it's weird. I can't really watch when I'm changing bed sheets, putting away clothes and linens, or giving myself a manicure or a pedicure. But that's what I do anyway. Here are my top three movies while I'm doing any of those things:


The Matrix (1999)
Only the first one, mind you. I abhor both sequels, especially the third (Revolutions). My favorite scene: when Neo and Trinity enter the building where Morpheus is being held to try and rescue him. The shootfest in the lobby is awesome!



The Lord of the Rings (2001, 2002, 2003)
Any of the three movies will do, but more often than not, I pop in "The Two Towers" (the second) because of the Battle of Helm's Deep. I especially love the scene when the elven archers arrive. If you've watched the movie as many times as I have and/or listened to all the commentaries in the special edition DVDs, you'll have noticed that each of the races has a particular music associated with it. Howard Shore's music for the elves has a haunting, ethereal melody, and he gives it a martial beat for the archers. Still makes my hair stand on end after all these years.



Batman Begins (2005)
Two words: Christian Bale.


Needless to say, I stop whatever I'm doing when I get to my favorite scenes. It's a good thing we don't have a TV and DVD player in the kitchen.

No comments: