Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Dazzling Dozois

Gardner Dozois has been my favorite SF&F editor for the past two decades. I especially look forward to his "The Year's Best Science Fiction" every year. Unfortunately, I only discovered this series in the mid-eighties when bookstores other than that one big chain started operations, so I'm missing the earlier books.

I can never remember what month the book for the year comes out. So last Sunday when we passed by the bookstore where I usually buy it, I left my name and number with instructions to call me when the book arrives. When we got home, I did a web search and it turns out that the 25th annual collection (2007 stories) will be published in July. Hee, I'm early. That's okay though—I want to make sure I get a copy. The market for SF here is still rather limited so the bookstores never buy a lot.

Here are the 32 stories in "The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Fifth Annual Collection" edited by Gardner Dozois. I can't wait for July.

  • David Moles: "Finisterra"
  • Ken MacLeod: "Lighting Out"
  • John Barnes: "The Ocean is a Snowflake, Four Billion Miles Away"
  • Gwyneth Jones: "Saving Tiamaat"
  • James Van Pelt: "Of Late I Dreamt of Venus"
  • Ian McDonald: "Verthandi's Ring"
  • Una McCormack: "Sea Change"
  • Chris Roberson: "The Sky is Large and the Earth is Small"
  • Greg Egan: "Glory"
  • Robert Silverberg: "Against the Current"
  • Neal Asher: "Alien Archeology"
  • Ted Chiang: "The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate"
  • Justin Stanchfield: "Beyond the Wall"
  • Bruce Sterling: "Kiosk"
  • Stephen Baxter: "Last Contact"
  • Alastair Reynolds: "The Sledge-Maker's Daughter"
  • Ian McDonald: "Sanjeev and Robotwallah"
  • Michael Swanwick: "The Skysailor's Tale"
  • Vandana Singh: "Of Love and Other Monsters"
  • Greg Egan: "Steve Fever"
  • Kage Baker: "Hellfire at Twilight"
  • Brian Stableford: "The Immortals of Atlantis"
  • Pat Cadigan: "Nothing Personal"
  • Elizabeth Bear: "Tideline"
  • Keith Brooke: "The Accord"
  • Nancy Kress: "Laws of Survival"
  • Tom Purdom: "The Mists of Time"
  • Kristine Kathryn Rusch: "Craters"
  • Ted Kosmatka: "The Prophet of Flores"
  • Benjamin Rosenbaum & David Ackert: "Stray"
  • Robert Reed: "Roxie"
  • Gregory Benford: "Dark Heaven"

No comments: